3.19.2011

Upcycling Plastic Shopping Bags

Hello all! I apologize for not having a 'real' post sooner but I have been running around like a crazy person trying to get everything perfect for my husband's return home from deployment. I hope you all have been enjoying Ashley's great projects; I know I am! I've wanted to share this great idea for a while now and I am not about to take credit for it. I learned about it via YouTube. It is a super project because it is extremely low cost (or free) with high benefits! I know everyone out there has a closet/cupboard/drawer/what-have-you just full of plastic shopping bags. What if I told you that you could turn them in to sturdy reusable shopping bags?! Crazy, I know. All you need to accomplish this is:

-about a million shopping bags (that I know you already have!)
-scissors
-a large crochet hook size M or N (or large knitting needles size 15 or 17)
-and the most basic crochet or knitting skills.

First what you need to do with all those bags is create what is called 'plarn' or plastic yarn. This is the easiest part of it. I attempted to take pictures of the process but it is much easier to understand with a video. Luckily I found this extremely helpful one here.


Here is a pic of my plarn!


Once you have this, you're ready to rock. I am primarily a crocheter, so I am using that method for mine. Here are some helpful tutorials if you are completely new to crochet or knitting.



Once you know the basics of your chosen method, it's simple! You will need 2 large rectangles that are the same size, 2 rectangles that are the same length but a smaller width than the previous, and then a smaller one yet that will fit as the bottom of your new shopping bag. If this is confusing to visualize, take a square reusable shopping bag you already have and get the measurements from that. The rectangles will be easy to attach to each other and there are many methods you can use. Try youtubing some to see which one feels best for you. The handles can be braided using several strands at a time.

By no means do you have to only make shopping bags from your plarn. There are many different things to do with it and feel free to experiment!

Happy crafting, and if you enjoy crochet or knitting, stick around for more of that in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your input and feedback, but please be respectful. All comments are moderated, so don't be alarmed if you don't see your comment immediately after posting.